|resources:||Home Mailing List Installation Source Code Members Screenshots|
The project is a protocol project.
When installed, you get in you browser a new protocol "ms-its:" (perhaps you have already seen it when using Microsoft stuff).
This pseudo protocol is used by Microsoft to read its InfoTech Storage file, mainly winhelp files (extension chm), but also cabinet file (extension cab) and reader file (extension lit).
There are many restrictions in version 0.1:
- It supports only chm file and runs only on Windows platform (see why below).
- It uses an intermediate file stored in the absolute path "s;C:\chm.tmp" (see nsITSChannel.cpp).
- It assumes that the windows help path is "s;file:C:///Windows/Help/"s; (see nsITSURL.cpp).
- It can only be use with the "file:" sub-protocol.
- Strange behaviour of the Back and Forward buttons.
- Only tested on mozilla 1.3b.
The 0.1 is a concatenation of extracts from existing protocols in combination with the work made by Matthew T. Russotto on chm file.
It's really quick and completely dirty, but runs quite fine (even better than other software which manages help).